Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef Roast

I was having one of those clean the pantry days today. In my freezer I had a beef rump roast that I found last week on sale. Rump roasts are my favorite type of beef roast so I always grab them when they are on sale. 

I found a recipe for a balsamic pork roast on pinterest and thought it sounded interesting. So then I decided to find a recipe that used balsamic with a beef roast. I choose this recipe over the pork because it didn't cook with the balsamic, but instead used it later as a glaze. 

This ended up tasting really good. I don't generally branch out from my normal recipes (onion soup mix roast) so this was definitely new. It had a bit of a tang to it since my balsamic is pretty cheap and not aged much, so next time I make it I'll most likely add a bit of sugar to take the edge off. It's three year old approved though.


                             





Balsamic Pot Roast (adapted)

  • 3 1/2 lbs beef roast cut
  • tablespoons olive oil
  • pearl onions
  • cups baby carrots 
  • 2 cups quartered potatoes (I used miniature golds)
  • garlic cloves, crushed
  • cup beef broth
  • teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon granules
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary , ground
  • cup canned diced tomato (Rotel)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • tablespoons cornstarch (last step)

  • In a large, heavy skillet, sear the beef in the oil until browned all over. Transfer the beef to your slow cooker. Scatter the onion, carrots and garlic around the beef. In a bowl, stir together the broth, bouillon, vinegar, and rosemary. Pour the mixture over the beef. Pour the tomatoes on top. Season with pepper. Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 hours.

  • When cooking time is up, remove the beef with tongs and place it on a serving platter. Scoop the onions and carrots out with a slotted spoon and pile them around the roast. Turn crock pot to high and thicken the juice left in the slow cooker with cornstarch mixed with water. Serve it with the beef.

    The original recipe author notes to serve with rice or egg noodles, which I think would be amazing.


  • Bookmark and Share

    0 comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...