Thursday, October 7, 2010

How much control do you need?

Once upon a time, there was this girl. This girl was a complete control freak. She needed to be in charge of all things, thought her idea was the only way, and got upset when she didn't get her way. It was a bit much.

At some point in that girl's life, that need for control, need to be perfect, right and in charge constantly ebbed. It could be that the prefrontal cortex (the part of the brain that controls impulse) just wasn't fully developed and eventually it became that way. Maybe it was just that maturity took over, who knows. But that girl is no longer a control freak, and that girl is me.

Somewhere on my long personal journey, apparently I just lost that need for control. I know it happened at some point of time in college, when I learned a lot of things about life, the world, and myself.

Now I cringe when I see others desiring that much control over things in their lives that cannot be controlled. It's unimaginable for me to see others who are stressed so completely out (or just wigged out) about things that they can't change and that don't really matter.

I'm not talking about family illnesses or a thousand dollar car repair that you just can't pay for. Those things will cause stress no matter what, and even though you can't change them either, you just can't seem to help but stress, cry, breakdown whatever.

I'm talking about things that just don't matter. It doesn't matter if your house isn't spotless, there are more important things in the world than a bed being made. I don't care how much you don't like it, it will not cause the world to end unless you are actually diagnosed with OCD or another anxiety disorder.

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, even though Morgan probably thinks that bed making comment is about her. It's not, I promise.

This post is about myself, the things about myself I have realized, the things I have changed, and will never go back to. I just don't have enough time or energy to care anymore.

What about you? Have you made a realization about yourself that you've changed? Have you made the realization, and are unwilling to change? Or is there just something you would like to change, realization or not?

I hope you will reply if reading. I love hearing the perspectives of others.





Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Christian said...

Thanks for the comment! I hope to be posting new stuff very soon. Until then, its just going to be small "wish" lists.. lol. I think your background is cute too :)

Laura said...

Sally, I am finding that the older I get (I'm 32 now), I am more and more positive about everything. Simply becasue I choose to be. It does not take much to make me happy and I have simplified in my life in many ways.

You may have sparked anothr post for me too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...