Sunday, January 17, 2010

Best Coconut Cake Ever part 1

So, have you had the best coconut cake ever?

Well, neither have I. But, I saw this cake on Throw Down with Bobby Flay, and it looked AWESOME! So, I decided to make it.

Mind you, I've never made a cake from scratch. My mom used to make cakes all the time, parties weddings, etc. so I did have some idea what to do. I spent thirty freaking dollars on ingredients, that I won't be able to reuse mind you. (This cake is for sale from the original baker, for only $100 and let me tell you it's worth it.)

I have been working on this cake since 700 pm, and at 9 pm I decided to go ahead and take a break, put it in the fridge and cut, fill and frost tomorrow. Why would I cop out like that? BECAUSE, firstly I'm an idiot and got 8in pans from my mom instead of 10. So guess what that caused? If you said mushroomed cake pans and burnt smoking cake filling my kitchen/entire house with thick reeking smoke from what filled up and fell onto the burner.

THEN, while making the filling, it overflowed and burnt in my electric burners. Gag. Imagine heavy cream, butter, and vanilla burnt on the stove top.

With all of those issues, I just decided tomorrow I will cut the cake and fill it. Then make the frosting and frost it. At least everything is tasty so far!! : )

Pictures to come. (Follow up post can be found here!)

Edited to add photos:
Finished cake!

Doesn't look as good as the original, but it was tasty!

Recipe:

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray with flour
1 pound unsalted butter, preferably European-style
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray two 10-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until creamy, occasionally scraping down sides of the bowl using a spatula.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, mix together cream, vanilla, and coconut extract. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture, alternating with cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour; beat until just combined.

Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing cakes from pans.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...