Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I'm giving up for Lent.

I'm putting a little blurb here, just in case.

Have I ever told you all just how much I love Facebook? I think it's an amazing place to keep up with friends and family you don't get to see often (or if you'll remember my post from around Christmas, you'll also know that I have a few dozen friends that I love that I've never even met in real life). Facebook seems to be the only way to keep up with those people.

But here's the thing about Facebook. It's just so tempting to never leave. You can pop in whenever, on your phone or computer. When you know there is an incredibly interesting/funny/dramatic conversation, it can even draw all of your attention without you even realizing it.

Last year, I gave up Chick Fil A for Lent. No I'm not Catholic, Methodist or any other branch of Christianity that observes the Lent, but after reading more about it, I decided that it wouldn't hurt me to sacrifice something. It would teach me self discipline. It would allow me to demonstrate my willingness to give up something in order to make myself a better person. It's both a spiritual thing and a personal thing. Except, last year, when I stopped eating at CFA, I started eating at other fast food places; so that obviously didn't work right.

This year,  I am (if you haven't guessed) giving up Facebook. However, I'm not limiting to Facebook. I am giving up the use of social media as a distraction to life. Instead of coming home from work, sitting down with my computer and checking Facebook, I'm going to spend more time playing with Archer, hanging out with Chance, cleaning my house, etc.

Because there are people that I will truly miss (because I never see them in my daily life) I feel a little guilty about this. But after a prayer, after some inner soul searching, the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I pondered what I thought God wanted me to do, I knew. I knew I needed to devote as much time as I could to my family, and Lent gave me a great tool in which to test myself.

So, I probably won't be blogging much (if any, no surprise there) and I definitely won't be on Facebook. I deactivated this evening, and have spent my non-facebook time playing educational games, reading, and watching movies with Archer.

If you're one of my Facebook friends and feeling left out, please feel free to email me, call me, text me. And please understand that this is just something I need to do for myself and my family. Know that I'm probably missing you and wishing I could be chatting with you. But, Easter isn't too far away!



Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...