Saturday, November 5, 2011

One Holiday at a Time

It's November, so that means it's time to start buying things for Christmas and putting up the tree. Um no.

So many of my Facebook friends (Canadians are allowed) are posting about Christmas music, putting up their tree, etc. 

I am not okay with this. The only thing Christmasy I'll doing this month is buying Christmas gifts. You will not come to my house and find any Christmas decorations hanging or on display before December first. 

There is another holiday in the middle of Halloween and Christmas. Anyone remember Thanksgiving? Does Christmas really need two months? Not at my house. 

Thanksgiving has always been special to me. My huge extended family always gathered at my grandparents house and those are some of my all time favorite memories. It's a holiday where money is no object. All you need is a little food and family. 

The original meaning of Thanksgiving, the pilgrims, the indians, all that. I'm not a big believer in that whole story. I'm sure some pilgrims celebrated and dined with the indians. Then they spent 200 years trying to Christian-ize them, relocating them, stealing their land, all that. But, I do think it's a great time of year to celebrate thankfulness and being with family. 

So let's build up to Thanksgiving first, Christmas starts in 26 days.




Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Nobodys Nothings said...

i'm with you on that one. it's all harvest decor around here until Black Friday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...