Friday, July 29, 2011

Recipe: Chicken and Biscuits

I'm not very good at writing recipes, but I came up with this today and thought I would share. It was super easy, and could be modified to be even easier.

Quick and Easy Chicken and Biscuits

-1 Steamable bag of frozen veggies or a large can of vegall
-1 Microwave bag of red potatoes (pre-washed) or canned potatoes
-1 Family sized can of Cream of Chicken (I prefer the fat free which only comes in small cans)
-1 can flaky layers biscuits
-10 oz of Chicken Broth
-3 Chicken breasts roasted (Could also use canned chicken or a rotisserie chicken)

I roasted my chicken in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, covered with foil in a baking dish sprinkled with olive oil. I heavily seasoned it with coarse salt, pepper, paprika rosemary, and garlic powder, but these are just my favorite seasonings. You could use a rotisserie chicken or canned chicken just as easily. After it cooked I reserved the juices and cut them into 1/2 in chunks.

Microwave the steam bag potatoes for 8 minutes, steam the vegetables in the bag for 3 minutes. Quarter the potatoes, they should be almost cooked but not completely so that they can absorb the soup. Mix the can of cream of chicken and broth in mixing bowl with half a can of water. Add in vegetables and chicken, as well as the juice from the chicken. The consistency should be slightly thinner than the cream of chicken (like pudding Chance says).

Bake the vegetable and soup mix for 15 minutes at 400. Do NOT forget this step or your biscuits will not cook and it will be nasty. However, if you do forget this step, one thing I've learned (I've clearly forgotten a time or two) is that you can pull the biscuits off, bake the mixture, and then turn the gooey biscuits upside down (cooked side down, gooey side up) and let them bake on that side until they're done.

Add biscuits. (I use two cans of biscuits which leaves about 4 extra, I put them in a smaller baking dish and bake both at once) Return to oven, bake another 15 minutes at 350 or follow the directions on the biscuit packaging.

Other than the chicken, I didn't season it at all, and it didn't need it. It was so tasty that we ate half the pan before I could get a picture! :)

This recipe is incredibly versatile. You can really adjust the ingredients anyway you want and it still turns out decent as long as the mixture isn't too wet and you remember to cook it first.







Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

This looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...