Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's your sacrifice?

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, making it the first day of Lent. You might be a little surprised to see that I even make notice of Lent if you read the post yesterday stating I was Southern Baptist. Believe me when I say I have no knowledge of most Catholic ordinances, etc. However, Lent is pretty popular across the media and social network sites these days. After a quick wiki search, I've found that Lent is a time representing Jesus' time in the desert, 40 days (and 40 nights if your a Josh Hartnett fan like me). During this time of fasting you give up something a vice or substance and use that time to dedicate to praying.

Like I said, I'm not Catholic in the least, so if that's wrong, feel free to correct me down below in a comment, I don't mind.

My take on this is, in honor of Jesus' 40 days and nights wandering the desert, being tempted, I'm going to spend 40 days giving up something that is a big temptation to me. Chick-fil-a. Sad I know. But hear me out. Most days, I can follow a smaller portioned diet of mostly healthy foods. However, the mere mention of a 12 piece nugget set up with polynesian sauce I salivate. I can't seem to say no to them, even knowing they kill my diet and are so very, very unhealthy.

So, in summary. No chick-fil-a for 40 days. I can do it. And each time someone suggests it, or I drive past it I will think of Jesus' struggles and temptations, and most importantly be thankful for his sacrifice for me so that I am only struggling in a hypothetical desert.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...