Monday, March 22, 2010

About lying...

Had a thought, figured I should share.

I'm not going to say I'm a good liar, because when it comes down to it, I'm probably really not. I just can't keep from grinning like an idiot. Some times, even when I'm not lying I end up grinning like an idiot.

So I guess I should have said, about bluffing, because that I can do. Wanna know how? You just pretend like you know what you are talking about, and you do it with so much confidence, that most people will be too timid to argue. I'm serious. It works.

Maybe it works for me because I'm a little pushy and overbearing. (Or a lot.) But still, it works. For example, I used to work for this awesome retail company, and while you never lie to a customer about something, you are selling products and you talk them up. How many customers are going to say, "Does this lotion really have that much aloe?" Not that many, well you might now that you have read this, but before would you have?

Same goes in school. As long as you can prove your point, in any way, most teachers will go with it. (In a liberal arts college anyway.)

And job interviews, let me tell you. It's key. You are selling yourself. Talk it up, embellish a little. Use big words, but have some idea what they mean in case some one else does. I'm not saying go in and start talking about extemporaneous business cases or anything.

So basically, what I'm saying is. Lying is a necessary skill. Not lying, bluffing. But really it is. So is confidence. Even if you don't believe, it bluff like you are oh so confident in whatever it is you want people to think you are confident about it. It works, I SWEAR.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...