Monday, July 23, 2012

House Project: Faux Barn Doors

To make room for baby we are remodeling our old garage/storage space into our bedroom. Baby will move into our current room and we'll be moving across the house into the garage. 

Of all the rooms in our house, this one has been the most work, and I'm sad we don't have before pictures because you just wouldn't believe me if I told you. It started out with no walls, just the exterior siding and backing showing through. The floor was dirt and the entire room was piled full of junk. I'm sure when it was first stored there, it wasn't junk, but 40 years later, it was. 

Since we moved in, Chance has built the floor level with the house, added walls and insulation and we turned part of it into the laundry room. It's a little disjointed because we planned to use the space as laundry, pantry, storage; but we need a bedroom so now you go through the laundry to get to the bedroom. It works. 

When we decided to put a wall up in the space, Chance put a cased opening (I have no idea what that means, he just tells me) that was really wide and had a bit of an arch to it. As a result, a typical door wouldn't work. While browsing on pinterest I found this pin for sliding barn doors and it's exactly what I wanted. We tossed the idea around, but when it came time to actually get it done...well, we had an issue. Lowe's didn't carry the hardware for the track. They thought there was a place in town that did, but they didn't know the name. A quick online search showed prices of $300+. Neither of us was paying that much for a door. 

Instead, Chance decided he could use a typical closet sliding door kit, but build it so that it would hang on the inside of the room. I was unsure of what it would it look like, but said it would be good enough because what else could we do? 

He installed them today and I'm so impressed. I love they way they turned out, especially since it was improvised and guesswork and most definitely cheaper than buying the kit. It doesn't work quite the same way, we can only do one door at a time, but I still love the look. 

Looking into the bedroom from the laundry. 



I wanted them painted white to match the trim, but I actually love the natural wood look so we're leaving them. I am so impressed with how they turned out. My husband did good. 


Linked at: 





Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

Love how this turned out! I just adore the barn door look too! Would love for you to share your quilt at the Pomp Party!

www.createcraftlove.com/2012/07/pomp-party-28.html

Hope to see you there!!

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

This is amazing! You did such a fantastic job with the transformation. I would love for you to share it at Snips & Spice Sunday Slice.

Malory
http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/2012/07/sunday-slice-its-party-5.html

Jeannine said...

This looks great! I love this kind of door and doing them "on the cheap" makes me love 'em even more! Kuddos for a job well done!!

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This turned out really great! I love sliding doors! Thank you so much for linking up to the Pinworthy Projects Party!

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

Thanks for linking! I liked it so much that I featured you this week! Check it out here: http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/2012/08/saturday-is-special-day-party-features-5.html

I hope you will link up more great projects tomorrow.

Malory

Unknown said...

WOw! This looks wonderful! I am SO impressed!

free standing pantry

barn doors said...

I know I found a very interesting and helpful blog here. I appreciate this wonderful information you have shared with us.


sliding barn doors

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...