Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I hate Christmas...

Well, not the holiday, and definitely not the meaning I hold true to; but most definitely the commerical aspect of it.

Don't get me wrong, for the first time EVER we can afford to blow a little money on our neices and nephews. We got Archer 2 little presents and a big one.

The stinky thing is, we spent $270!! That's only $20 a kid (plus the $10 I put in the salvation army bucket), and then Archer's presents. I immediately called my sister and told her to stop reproducing, I couldn't afford to buy gifts for her children. (Jokingly only, mostly)

I hate that society makes me feel bad for not doing this. I hate that we as a society let ourselves be sucked into this, we must spend money on our and other children. That's just not the way I want to be. I want my child to appreciate the meaning I hold dear to Christmas, and if for some reason, he chooses not to follow my beliefs, I would at least like for him to hone in on the importance of spending time with family, not blowing obscene amounts of money on gifts.

There's my soap box for the day.

On the upside, I have the gift for my grandpa's house (we play Dirty Santa), Archer's, Chance's, and our families. So, even though I gave in to the norm and spent money my heart just wasn't in, I only have two more things to buy! lol

2 comments:

Rikki said...

I agree Sally. I love Christmas and always have but I hate the commercial holiday that it has become. It's sad to see the real meaning of Christmas get lost in all the stressing, shopping and gift giving.

Devin said...

For me, Christmas is less about religion and more about being able to share the love I have for my friends and family in a more potent dose than normal. I'm not a religious person, but that's a different subject. I love being able to make gifts for my family and friends that I know they're going to enjoy. I also love spending time thinking about and deciding on "the perfect" gift for them if I'm not going to make them something. I keep Christmas shopping fun and stress-free, if I can't get the thing I wanted to get its no big deal I can find something else. I think it matters less about the amount and more about the thought. If someone isn't appreciative of what I get them, then whatever. One less person to buy for next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...